Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Typical Working Environment

I thought it may be helpful for some people to understand what a typical development session would look like if you were to peek over my shoulder. I'll give you a quick rundown of the myriad of applications/websites/editors/etc that I have open at any time during a development session.

1. Firefox
  • Java API - A must!
  • Gmail Inbox - I like to stay on top of e-mail
  • BitRock Documentation - To make sure I don't re-invent the wheel...
  • Various example websites - Sometimes an example is worth a thousand words
2. NetBeans
  • I usually have a few projects open, some being test classes, others my full blown GUI's
3. Visual Studio
  • This is only used for my XML editing; it does a nice job. Although I could probably do this with NetBeans?
4. BitRock Install Builder
  • Sometimes I'll close this if I'm not working on the installer XML file, but it's been open a lot lately.
5. Xchat
  • #java - Always good to idle and ask questions
  • #openmrs - Duh...
6. Console
  • Although NetBeans does a fine job of executing code, I like to enter the commands myself a lot of times because often I'll have to deal with files in nearby directories and what not, and I just find it a bit more efficient to do it all in one place. I do the same thing on Linux in that I'll code in NetBeans and then compile/run in the console window.

Well, that about does it. It can get very "busy" on my screen, maybe I can use some of this SoC money to grab another monitor and dual-screen it... :)

No comments: