Saturday, June 23, 2007

Status Update

Hello everyone. It has been a while since I've posted an update to this. Since my last post the focus of the installer has shifted from Linux/OSX to that of Windows. According to Paul, around 85% of the implementers will be using Windows, so that needs to be the immediate focus. So, my current focus is learning the tools of the Windows trade, and then getting a basic installer going that I can build off of. I hope to have a lot of this work knocked out by the end of the weekend.

As for the Linux/OSX installer, I should have no problems stepping away from it and then revisiting it later. The script is in a relatively stable and mature existence right now, and the main issues left to be addressed with the Linux/OSX installer involve design choices (how to distribute packages, how many different downloads to have, etc...). I've been having in-depth discussions with a lot of people trying to resolve all of these design issues, so I'm not at all worried that the final product will be great.

I'll have an update by the end of the weekend detailing some of the struggles I encountered while trying to "port" my Linux/OSX script over to Windows, the technologies I used to achieve the task, and my outlook on the future. Good luck on your projects, have a safe weekend!

No comments: